Maybe I’m Not Supposed to Stay Outside the Door Forever

Maybe I’m Not Supposed to Stay Outside the Door Forever

By Kyle Josef Taus

There’s something I need to finally say properly.

For years now, I’ve carried this strange but incredibly strong feeling that my life keeps circling back toward media, broadcasting, television, radio, and audience culture — especially around Network Ten, Paramount, and the evolution of Australian entertainment.

And before people roll their eyes and dismiss that as fantasy or imagination, hear me out first.

I’m not claiming to secretly own anything. I’m not claiming to run anything. I’m not claiming to be some hidden executive.

What I am saying is that some people are deeply connected to industries because they love them so much that they spend years unintentionally studying them.

That’s me.

Some people watch television casually.

I watch formats. Audience reactions. Branding. Energy. Momentum. Silence. Engagement. Why certain shows connect. Why others fail. Why audiences drift away. Why older eras of television felt alive compared to now.

I’ve spent years thinking about how modern media could evolve instead of slowly flattening itself into predictable noise.

And the frustrating thing is… the ideas never stop coming.

Interactive advertising. Rewards systems. Live audience participation. Radio and TV crossover concepts. Streaming integrations. Loyalty programs. Viewer engagement mechanics. Community-based broadcasting. Real-time interaction between audiences and networks.

Not because I’m trying to force relevance onto myself — but because my brain naturally sees the gaps.

I genuinely believe modern audiences are desperate to feel involved again.

People don’t just want to consume content anymore. They want experiences. Participation. Recognition. Identity. Connection.

That’s what older media used to understand.

And honestly? I think the industry is quietly screaming for people who still understand the emotional side of entertainment rather than just the spreadsheet side of it.

That’s where this becomes difficult for me personally.

Because I’ve spent years developing thoughts and concepts and trying to send them into the world, hoping the right person might eventually see something worthwhile in them.

Sometimes I genuinely thought I was getting somewhere. Sometimes it felt like doors were opening. Sometimes it felt like the universe itself kept pointing me back toward the same industries over and over again.

Then silence.

No response. No opportunity. No real pathway forward.

And after enough years of that, you begin questioning yourself.

You start wondering whether you’re simply a grown man trapped inside the imagination of his younger self.

That hurts to admit publicly.

Especially at 36.

But at the same time… I cannot ignore the fact that the passion is still there.

If this was just ego, it would’ve burnt out years ago.

Instead, the ideas kept evolving.

Because deep down, I still believe I could contribute something valuable inside the right creative environment.

Not as “the boss.” Not as someone demanding control. Not as someone expecting fame.

Just as someone who genuinely understands audiences, culture, engagement, branding, and emotional connection in a way that feels increasingly rare.

I think media companies underestimate how powerful passion still is.

You can teach corporate structure. You can teach systems. You can teach workflow.

But you cannot teach someone to genuinely care about the product itself.

That either exists in someone or it doesn’t.

And I care deeply.

Honestly, I think it would be a mistake if voices like mine never get the opportunity to properly contribute to the future of the industry.

Not because I think I’m above anyone else — but because I think the industry desperately needs people who still believe entertainment should feel exciting, alive, interactive, and culturally meaningful again.

Maybe I’m wrong.

Maybe none of this ever leads anywhere.

But if all of this passion, thinking, emotional investment, and creativity was only ever meant to leave me permanently outside the door looking in…

then that feels less like destiny and more like torture.

Because no one spends this many years mentally building ideas for an industry they don’t genuinely love.

So this is me saying it publicly:

I’m still here. Still thinking. Still creating. Still willing to work. Still willing to learn. Still willing to earn my place properly.

I don’t expect shortcuts.

I just hope one day the right person finally sees what I’ve been trying to offer all along.

— Kyle Josef Taus
Melbourne, Victoria


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What If We Got Identity Backwards?

An Open Letter to Police and Victims: When Confiscation Isn’t Enough

What If We're Asking the Wrong Question About Victoria's Missing Billions?