Congratulations! You’ve Won… the Opportunity to Spend Money
A love letter to Temu, because apparently the four notifications they sent today weren't enough.
There are certain guarantees in life.
Death. Taxes. Bills.
And apparently, opening your phone to discover that Temu has once again decided you are the luckiest human being alive.
Congratulations! ๐
You've won!
Again.
Somehow.
What are the odds?
At this point, I don't know whether to shop on Temu or buy a lottery ticket because according to my notifications, I possess supernatural levels of good fortune.
I've won credits.
I've unlocked discounts.
I've been selected for gifts.
I've spun wheels that miraculously land somewhere fantastic.
I've opened mystery boxes.
I've apparently achieved promotional victories that Olympic athletes could only dream of.
And strangely, all roads seem to lead to the same breathtaking grand prize:
My debit card.
๐ฐ Welcome to the Casino Where the Jackpot Is… Shopping
Open the Temu app and sometimes it feels less like entering an online marketplace and more like walking through Crown Casino after somebody replaced the poker machines with phone chargers, socks and kitchen gadgets.
SPIN!
Congratulations!
PICK A BOX!
Amazing!
YOU WON!
Incredible!
FREE GIFTS!
Oh my God!
Then comes the tiny plot twist:
Spend money.
Oh.
But haven't I just won?
Apparently "winning" has undergone something of a rebrand.
Back in my day, if you won something, they gave it to you.
That was generally the defining characteristic of winning.
Imagine The Price Is Right doing this.
"KYLE! COME ON DOWN! YOU'VE WON A BRAND-NEW CAR!"
Fantastic.
"All you need to do is purchase $7,000 worth of homewares, invite six friends, complete another challenge and return within seventeen minutes."
Sorry?
Did I win the car or did the car win me?
๐ The Fascinating Evolution of the Word "Free"
Then we arrive at one of advertising's most abused four-letter words:
FREE.
Free gifts!
Free products!
Claim your free items!
Wonderful.
Except sometimes "free" appears to have brought several friends along:
Minimum Spend, Additional Purchase, Conditions Apply and Hurry-The-Clock-Is-Ticking.
They're a fun group.
To be clear, there's nothing inherently wrong with a business saying:
"Spend $100 and receive a free gift."
That's a promotion. We understand the transaction.
But if you first tell someone:
"YOU WON FREE GIFTS!"
…and then progressively introduce purchasing requirements, that's where I start raising an eyebrow.
Because there's a rather important difference between:
"You've won something."
and:
"You've unlocked an opportunity to spend money in pursuit of something."
One is a prize.
The other is shopping wearing a party hat.
๐ I Cannot Stop Winning
The funniest part is how extraordinarily successful I seem to be at Temu games.
Apparently I'm a natural.
Spin something?
Winner.
Choose something?
Winner.
Open something?
Winner.
Congratulations!
Amazing!
Incredible!
What an astonishing coincidence that these games designed to encourage purchasing keep telling customers they're doing brilliantly.
It raises a genuinely interesting consumer question:
If everybody wins, what exactly did anybody win?
Imagine a casino where every poker machine screamed:
JACKPOT!!!
Then underneath:
Please insert another $50 to continue claiming jackpot.
Eventually you'd begin to suspect the machine wasn't particularly impressed by your gambling abilities.
๐ฑ Temu, Babe, I Saw Your First Notification
Then there are the notifications.
Good morning!
Temu.
Lunch?
Temu.
Afternoon?
Temu.
Apparently I have won something.
Again.
Evening?
KYLE, YOUR REWARD IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE!!!
Well, that's devastating.
I didn't even know we were in a relationship.
There comes a point where marketing stops feeling like advertising and starts feeling like someone outside your bedroom window holding a Bluetooth speaker.
"YOUR FREE GIFTS ARE WAITING!"
Yes.
I heard you.
The first four times.
๐ The Products Shouldn't Need This Much Emotional Support
And this is perhaps the genuinely embarrassing part.
Temu sells an enormous range of inexpensive products.
Some of them are genuinely useful.
Some are surprisingly decent.
Some are exactly the sort of bizarre thing you buy at 2:14 am because apparently you suddenly need a miniature rechargeable vacuum cleaner specifically for your keyboard.
That's online shopping.
But if the products represent good value, why does purchasing them require a psychological obstacle course?
Just show me the thing.
Show me the price.
Tell me what delivery costs.
Tell me whether there are conditions.
And let me decide whether I want it.
A $6 gadget shouldn't need a spinning wheel, three treasure chests, fireworks, a countdown clock, an endangered coupon, six "exclusive" discounts and a personal message informing me that destiny itself has selected me.
It's a phone cable.
Calm down.
๐จ "ONLY 07:42 REMAINING!"
Nothing creates a peaceful shopping experience quite like being informed that civilisation apparently ends in eight minutes.
HURRY!
CLAIM NOW!
DON'T LOSE YOUR REWARD!
OFFER ENDING!
There's always a clock.
Temu apparently exists in a universe where time itself is constantly running out.
You'd think NASA had detected an asteroid.
No.
It's 30% off storage containers.
๐ค And This Is Where the Joke Becomes a Serious Question
Behind all the sarcasm is something worth discussing.
Australian consumers are protected by the Australian Consumer Law, including rules concerning misleading or deceptive conduct and false or misleading representations.
I'm not declaring that Temu has broken those laws. That's something regulators—not sarcastic bloggers with overloaded notification screens—determine.
But I do think the marketing model raises legitimate questions.
When a promotion tells someone they've "won", what would a reasonable consumer think they've actually won?
When something is described prominently as "free", how clearly are the purchasing requirements disclosed?
When a game repeatedly produces extremely favourable outcomes, is the consumer meaningfully playing a game of chance—or experiencing a carefully designed sales journey?
And when urgency, countdowns, repeated notifications, credits, rewards and game mechanics are layered together, at what point should regulators examine the overall impression, rather than each individual message?
Those are fair questions.
๐งพ So I've Reported My Concerns to the ACCC
I've decided to raise these concerns with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.
Not because I believe online stores shouldn't advertise.
Advertise away.
Send discounts.
Have sales.
Give people genuine promotions.
But consumers should be able to understand what they're actually being offered before they spend money chasing it.
If something requires a $50 purchase, tell me.
If something requires another transaction, tell me.
If a "free gift" has conditions, put those conditions somewhere consumers can reasonably understand them before they start.
And if I've genuinely won something…
give me the bloody thing.
๐ CONGRATULATIONS, TEMU!
After all those spins, prizes, gifts, countdowns and notifications, it's finally my turn to announce a winner.
๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ฅ
TEMU, CONGRATULATIONS!
YOU'VE WON A FREE ACCC COMPLAINT! ๐
No purchase necessary.
No minimum spend.
No spinning wheel.
No inviting three friends.
No countdown.
No mysterious additional requirements appearing halfway through.
Absolutely free.
See?
It really isn't that difficult.
— Kyle Xy
Comments
Post a Comment