Defining Kyle Xy Josef Taus
A Birthday, a Name and a Direction
Tomorrow, 14 September, is my birthday.
This year, I am marking it by doing something more personal than posting a cake, a candle or another photograph accompanied by “one year older.”
I am putting a face to the name behind this blog:
Kyle Xy Josef Taus
A name is given to us before anybody knows who we will become. Over time, however, we fill it with experiences, relationships, mistakes, achievements, questions and ambitions.
Eventually, a name can become more than identification.
It can become a map of where we have travelled and a compass pointing towards where we intend to go.
The more I have examined my name, the more fortunate I have felt to carry it. Its meanings and symbols seem to reflect qualities that were already part of my life before I properly understood them.
For me, the complete direction is:
Kyle navigates.
Xy questions.
Josef adds.
Taus transforms.
Kyle Navigates
The name Kyle comes from the Scottish Gaelic word caol, meaning a narrow channel, strait or passage of water between two areas of land.
That definition feels remarkably fitting.
A channel is not the entire ocean. It is the passage connecting separate shores. It carries movement through difficult territory and gives the water somewhere to travel.
Much of my life has involved standing between different worlds:
- The community and the police
- Mental-health systems and lived experience
- The law and the street
- Government institutions and the people affected by them
- Traditional media and new digital platforms
- Serious public policy and unconventional creative thinking
- The person I have been and the person I am becoming
I have not always fitted comfortably on only one side.
Perhaps my direction is not to choose one shore and shout at the other. Perhaps it is to help create a channel between them.
To me, Kyle represents navigation: finding a passage through difficult circumstances, connecting ideas normally kept apart and continuing to move when the available path becomes narrow.
Water does not always overcome an obstacle through force.
Sometimes it patiently discovers the opening.
Xy Questions
Xy is the name I have chosen to place within Kyle.
Visually, it can be seen inside the name:
K — Xy — le
X and Y are also coordinates. Together, they allow a point to be located on a map.
That makes Xy a fitting symbol for my effort to understand where I stand, where I have been and where I want to go next.
X can represent the unknown.
Y sounds like “why”—possibly my most frequently used word.
Why do our systems operate as they do?
Why do we continue policies that are not achieving their intended outcomes?
Why are people sometimes punished before they are properly understood?
Why do institutions and communities so often speak past one another?
Why accept that something cannot change simply because it has always been done that way?
Xy represents identity, direction, perspective and the courage to question.
It does not mean I possess every answer.
It means I am prepared to continue asking better questions.
Josef Adds
Josef is a traditional form of Joseph, derived from the Hebrew name Yosef.
It is commonly understood to mean:
“God will add,” “God will increase,” or “may God add.”
That meaning matters to me because I do not want my contribution to consist only of pointing out what is wrong.
I want to add something.
I want to add lived experience to conversations often dominated by official language.
I want to add humanity to systems.
I want to add creativity to policy.
I want to add new possibilities to debates trapped between the same old positions.
I want to add humour when everything becomes painfully serious—and seriousness when important subjects are reduced to disposable entertainment.
Josef reminds me that the story is not finished.
More can be learned.
More can be repaired.
More can be contributed.
More can be built.
I cannot rewrite every chapter behind me, but I can decide what those chapters add to the story ahead.
Taus Transforms
Taus is my family name.
Its most important definition does not come from an internet search. Its meaning comes from my family, the people who have carried it and what I choose to make it represent now.
I connect Taus symbolically with identity, watchfulness, renewal and revealing one’s true colours.
The peacock is a fitting image for that transformation. Its colours are not suddenly created when its feathers open. They were already there. They simply had not yet been fully displayed.
That idea reflects this birthday and face reveal.
For years, my thoughts, experiences and ambitions have lived behind this blog—sometimes publicly, sometimes privately and sometimes scattered across many different subjects.
Now I am stepping forward and placing a clearer face beside the name.
I am not becoming a completely different person overnight.
I am revealing more of what was already there.
TAUS on the Compass
There is also a piece of wordplay hidden inside the four compass directions:
- norTh
- eAst
- soUth
- weSt
The highlighted letters spell:
T A U S
I am not claiming the compass was designed around my surname.
It is creative wordplay—and a particularly appropriate one for a name I associate with navigation and direction.
From K to S, there is Kyle Xy Josef Taus.
In the new artwork, the four parts of my identity meet inside one illuminated compass:
Navigate. Question. Add. Transform.
Not four separate personalities.
Four directions within one person.
The Numbers Behind My Birthday
My birthday is:
14 / 09 / 1989
When the day, month and complete year are added:
14 + 09 + 1989 = 2012
The year 2012 has become personally symbolic to me. I associate it with the idea of a reset—the ending of one period and the beginning of another way of seeing the world.
When the year is shortened to 89:
14 + 09 + 89 = 112
That produces a number with an important real-world meaning.
112 is an emergency number.
In Australia, 000 is the primary emergency number for police, fire and ambulance.
However, 112 can also be dialled from a mobile phone in Australia and connects to the same emergency call service.
It is especially familiar to international travellers because 112 is used as an emergency number in many parts of the world.
There are some important limitations.
112 is a mobile emergency number; it is not the alternative number to promote for ordinary Australian landlines. A mobile may be able to connect through another available carrier’s network when its own provider has no coverage, but only if compatible mobile coverage actually exists.
112 is also not a guaranteed solution whenever 000 or an entire telecommunications network fails. If a phone cannot access any functioning mobile network, changing the number cannot manufacture a signal.
The responsible message is therefore:
- Call 000 first in an Australian emergency.
- From a mobile phone, 112 is another recognised emergency number.
- Neither number can create coverage where no functioning mobile network is available.
- 106 is the text-based emergency number available through a teletypewriter service for people with hearing or speech difficulties.
Knowing the distinction could still be valuable in the right circumstances.
The Number That Rarely Gets Mentioned
I have received service and safety communications from Telstra, Optus and Vodafone, yet I noticed that the emails I received did not draw attention to 112.
That surprised me.
Mobile providers have an obvious opportunity to help customers understand the emergency numbers available from their phones. A short, accurate explanation could be particularly useful for travellers, people living near coverage boundaries and anyone already familiar with 112 overseas.
I am not claiming these companies deliberately omitted the number because of me.
An email failing to mention 112 is not evidence of a personal motive—although from my perspective, the joke practically writes itself:
“Send Kyle the safety email. Just whatever you do, don’t mention his birthday number.”
Come on, telecommunications companies. I promise 112 existed before I did the arithmetic. π
The serious point underneath the joke is simple:
Public-safety information should be accurate, memorable and complete.
If telecommunications companies discuss emergency calling, I believe they should explain both Australia’s primary emergency number, 000, and the legitimate but limited role of 112 on mobile phones.
Not as a replacement.
Not as a magical backup.
As useful knowledge.
The Kyle Memes
Of course, no investigation of the name Kyle would be complete without examining what the internet has done to it.
According to internet folklore, the stereotypical Kyle:
- Drinks energy drinks as though hydration has become a competitive sport
- Punches holes in drywall
- Questions authority
- Operates with chaotic confidence
- Has strong opinions and stronger momentum
- Acts first and explains the situation afterwards
- Probably has a complicated relationship with Monster Energy
I would love to dismiss the entire stereotype as ridiculous.
Unfortunately, parts of it are familiar.
The funniest thing is that many of these memes appeared to describe elements of my personality before I even knew they existed.
The energy drinks.
The intensity.
The questioning.
The frustration with walls—both metaphorical and occasionally more literal.
The strange mixture of humour, confidence, chaos and vulnerability.
Even some Urban Dictionary entries contain descriptions I recognise.
Urban Dictionary is not an official source of history, psychology or destiny. Its entries are anonymous internet folklore: sometimes affectionate, sometimes insulting and nearly always exaggerated.
Still, the similarities make me laugh.
It can feel as though the internet created a cartoon character and accidentally borrowed several pages from my personality.
The stereotypical Kyle does not politely knock on a wall and wait for somebody to answer.
He arrives through the plasterboard.
Learning When to Find the Door
The drywall image also works as a metaphor for my direction in life.
I want to break through the walls separating people, systems and ideas.
I want to expose what exists beneath the surface and create discussions that do not fit comfortably inside traditional categories.
Growing older, however, has taught me something important:
Not every wall needs to be punched.
Sometimes courage means breaking through.
Sometimes wisdom means finding the door.
Sometimes navigation means discovering that there was a narrow channel beside the wall all along.
Perhaps that is the mature evolution of the Kyle meme:
Keep the courage. Keep the energy. Keep questioning barriers. Improve the navigation.
Fortunately, the meaning of my name already provides those instructions.
The Golden Frequency
I describe the connections I notice between names, numbers, language, media, brands, institutions and personal experience as the Golden Frequency.
It is my creative and symbolic language.
It is not proof that every company, television program or organisation has deliberately planted a message about me.
Human beings naturally identify patterns. Sometimes those patterns reveal something genuinely useful. Sometimes they are funny. Sometimes their importance comes from the meaning we choose to give them.
The value is not necessarily in proving that somebody else positioned every dot.
The value can be found in asking what we build after connecting them.
My name gives me navigation, questions, contribution and transformation.
My birthday gives me 2012 and 112.
The Kyle memes provide a chance to laugh at myself.
The emergency-number connection gives me a practical public-awareness message.
The photographs place a face beside the person writing these words.
Different signals.
One developing story.
More Than a Name, Number or Meme
Behind these symbols is a real person.
A person who has experienced grief, mental-health challenges, substance use, unstable housing, the justice system, interrupted relationships and years of trying to determine where he belongs.
There is also someone deeply interested in media, policing, education, advertising, harm reduction, technology, political reform, community and systemic change.
The memes capture the explosion.
The numbers create memorable connections.
The name provides a symbolic direction.
But none of them tells the complete story alone.
They do not necessarily show what created the pressure, what happened after the dust settled or what could be constructed inside the new opening.
That is the part of the story I want to tell next.
Putting a Face to the Name
This birthday face reveal is not a declaration that I have solved every part of my identity.
It is me becoming more willing to stand beside my words.
It is an introduction to the person behind the blog:
Kyle Xy Josef Taus
A person who has made mistakes.
A person who has survived difficult chapters.
A person with unusual ideas, ambitious proposals and a mind that rarely stops connecting subjects.
A person capable of laughing at the Kyle memes while also asking how their chaotic energy can be transformed into something constructive.
A person who can see 112 inside his birthday and think:
Perhaps that connection could help somebody remember an emergency number.
Not everything must be destiny to become meaningful.
Sometimes meaning is created by what we decide to do with what we notice.
Fortunate to Carry the Name
The more I examine my name, the more fortunate I feel to carry it.
It contains navigation, identity, questioning, growth, family and transformation.
It reflects where I have been, but it also points towards where I could go.
My life has contained many narrow passages. Some were chosen. Others were circumstances I had to survive.
There have been wrong turns, rough currents and moments when I could not see the opposite shore.
Yet I am still navigating.
I am still questioning.
I am still adding.
I am still transforming.
So, as I celebrate another birthday and reveal the face behind the name, this is the definition I choose:
I am Kyle Xy Josef Taus. I aim to navigate times of change, connect people across divided shores, ask the questions others may avoid, add something meaningful and transform lived experience into ideas that can serve more than just myself.
14 + 09 + 1989 = 2012.
14 + 09 + 89 = 112.
The numbers form a memorable pattern.
The name provides a compass.
The photographs reveal the face.
What happens next will be determined by what I choose to build.
Kyle navigates.
Xy questions.
Josef adds.
Taus transforms.
The name was given to me.
The meaning is something I am still creating.
#SmileForKyle
#Smile4Kyle
#GoldenFrequency
#KyleXyJosefTaus
Comments
Post a Comment